THE OUR FOOD nl Community APPLICATION Process IS NOW OPEN
The application form can be downloaded here
Are you passionate about food and the health of your community? Does your community experience issues accessing healthy food?
Food First NL is recruiting THREE communities in the Coast of Bays Region committed to improving access to healthy food, to partner with on a multi-year project called Our Food NL.
If there is local interest in working to improve access to healthy food in your community, you could be interested in this opportunity!
How does it work?
The Our Food NL Project will partner with three communities in the Coast of Bays Region to take a deeper look at the factors impacting access to healthy food, and support the creation of programs in each community that address local challenges accessing food.
This will be done by completing Community-led Food Assessments in each community. A Community-led Food Assessment is a process that helps communities come together to better understand the challenges faced accessing enough, healthy food, as well as the strengths that exist in the community related to food. The process is led by community members and is used to inform the development of locally-appropriate programs aimed to improve access to food for all within a community.
Community-led Food Assessments will help communities to:
- Improve awareness and knowledge of local food issues
- Increase collaboration between people, organizations, and programs
- Identify opportunities for enhancing existing programs
- Provide support for piloting new programs that improve access to healthy store, locally-grown, or wild food
What is provided through the Project?
To support the Community-led Food Assessment and creation of local food programs, the Our Food NL Project will partner with three communities from now until March 2020, and will:
- Hire a full-time community coordinator in each of the three participating communities
- Provide training and support to the coordinator
- Support the creation of local committees to help guide the work
- Provide financial resources to support expenses through the CLFA process and in implementing food programs
Any community in the region is encouraged to participate, and applications are due by end of day on Wednesday, October 11, 2017. The application must be completed by one or a number of organizations located in the community that have a keen interest in helping to guide the work locally.
If you think your community is a good fit for this work, the application form can be downloaded here.